The UK has one of the world’s best education systems. Applying for a Tier 4 General – Student visa from an overseas country or in-country can be an involved process.

You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa that allows you to work for 20 hours per week during term time and for unlimited time during holidays up to a maximum of three months. Depending on the visa terms, you may be eligible to bring your immediate family to the UK while studying, though there might be certain restrictions on the rights of work for your spouse or dependants.

Who Can Apply? Check Your Eligibility

Are you:

  • An overseas student wishing to take advantage of the educational opportunities available in the UK? or
  • Already in the UK and wishing to extend your stay as a student? or
  • Already in the UK and wishing to switch your visa category to Student Visa?

Check The Requirements

You must be able to:

  • Have gained admission at a licensed UK educational institution.
  • Have a CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) number issued by your educational institution.
  • Fulfil the minimum requirements for maintenance funds in order to cover your tuition fees and living expenses.

There is also an English language requirement that needs to be fulfilled, though exceptions apply. Please note that similar requirements apply for visa extensions.

What About The Future?

  • The Tier 4 (General) Student Visa is a temporary visa and cannot lead to permanent residence in the UK. However, there are other options to qualify for residency.

What’s Next? Speak To An Expert

For expert advice and professional help with immigration matters, please contact the immigration team on 020 7404 7933 or email us at You can also use the form to make an enquiry.

Applying for a Tier 4 General – Student Visa is an important step, so it’s vital to get it right the first time.