An EEA Family Permit is an entry clearance application for family members of EU nationals and there is no Home Office fee for this application. It is advisable to fly with the Family Permit Visa, as you may be refused entry into the UK without it.

If successful, you will receive a six month family visa and may then apply for the EEA Residence Card if you choose to stay in the UK long term.

Key Ruling

The key ruling, which derived from a case brought by an Irish citizen, Sean McCarthy, and his Columbian wife seeking to move to the UK from Spain, states explicitly: “Member States are, in principle, required to recognise a residence card issued under Article 10 of Directive 2004/38, for the purposes of entry into their territory without a visa”.

A Personalised Visa Service For Your Family

YDVISAS provide an unrivalled service in managing these types of applications.  Our highly qualified lawyers will ensure they understand your requirements in detail and will assist you at every stage. Through our expert advice, we aim to make everything for you and your family smooth and hassle-free.

Who Can Apply? Check Your Eligibility

Are you:

  • A family member of a citizen of an EU country who is taking up residence in the UK in accordance with EU treaty rights?

Check The Requirements

You must prove that:

  • You are the family member of an EU national.
  • You must remain a member of the same household with the EU national and / or dependent of an EU national.
  • The EU national is exercising EU treaty rights.

What’s Next? Speak To An Expert

For expert advice and professional help with immigration matters, please contact the award winning law firm on 020 7404 7933 or email us at You can also use the form to make an enquiry.

Applying for an EEA Family Permit is an important step in being with your EU national family member, so it’s vital to get it right the first time.