You may apply for an Unmarried Partner Visa or Same Sex Partner Visa if your partner is a British national or settled in the UK. You must prove your genuine relationship, satisfying the requirements mentioned below. An applicant may apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after a five year stay in the UK.

In the case of settlement eligibility of an unmarried / same sex partner of UK citizens and settled person, each case must be judged on its merits, taking travel reasons and length of absences into account. Discretion and understanding must be exercised at all times.

Who Can Apply? Check Your Eligibility

  • Living together with your British national or UK settled person partner in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years?
  • Looking to join your unmarried partner who is settled in the UK or under Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Check The Requirements

You must be able to:

  • Satisfy the required English language capability (either as a national of a majority English speaking country, or hold an accepted English language degree or accredited English language test).
  • Satisfy co-habitation requirements.
  • Satisfy financial requirements.

What About The Future?

  • If you are a British national residing outside of the UK and planning to return here to settle, your unmarried / same sex partner can also apply under the same route to join you in the UK.
  • The Unmarried Partner Visa or Same Sex Partner Visa is initially issued for a 33-month period and can be extended for a further period of 30 months.
  • After spending four years and 11 months under the same visa category, you can apply for settlement (ILR) or permanent residence in the UK
  • After obtaining settlement or ILR status and having spent a total period of three or five years in the UK, you can apply for British citizenship.

What’s Next? Speak To An Expert

For expert advice and professional help with immigration matters, please contact the immigration team on 020 7404 7933 or email us at You can also use the form to make an enquiry.

Applying for an Unmarried Partner Visa or Same Sex Partner Visa is an important step in being with your partner, so it’s vital to get it right the first time.