You may apply for a Spouse / Civil Partner Visa if your partner is a British national or is settled in the UK. The list of UK Spouse Visa requirements is not exhaustive, but an application may get refused with incorrect representation.

In the case of settlement eligibility of spouses, civil partners of UK citizens or settled persons, there is no specific requirement in the rules that the entire probationary period must be spent in the UK. For example, if applicants have spent a limited period outside the UK in connection with their employment, this should not count against them. However, if they have spent the majority of the period overseas, the rules may not have all been met. Each case must be judged on its merits, taking travel reasons and length of absences into account. Discretion and understanding must be exercised at all times. Poor representation may attract spouse visa refusal.

Who Can Apply? Check Your Eligibility

Are you:

  • A husband, wife or civil partner of a British national or person already settled in the UK?
  • Looking to bring any dependants along with your partner to the UK?

Check The Requirements

You must be able to:

  • Satisfy the required English language capability (either as a national of a majority English speaking country, or hold an accepted English language degree or accredited English language test).
  • Satisfy co-habitation requirements.
  • Satisfy financial requirements.

What About The Future?

  • If you are a British national residing outside of the UK and planning to return here to settle, your spouse / civil partner can also apply under the same route to join you in the UK.
  • The Spouse Visa is initially issued for a 33-month period and can be extended for a further period of 30 months.
  • After spending four years and 11 months under the same visa category, you can apply for settlement (ILR) or permanent residence in the UK
  • After obtaining settlement or ILR status and having spent a total period of three or five years in the UK, you can apply for British citizenship.

What’s Next? Speak To An Expert

For expert advice and professional help with immigration matters, please contact the immigration team on 020 7404 7933 or email us at You can also use the form to make an enquiry.

Applying for a Spouse / Civil Partner Visa is an important step in being with your partner, so it’s vital to get it right the first time.